Snorkeling is currently the fastest growing water sports. Getting yourself equipped with the right gear is your best option. It’s one thing to go through reviews and decide what snorkel mask is best for you and another thing to take the time out and pick out a mask that corresponds to your needs.
You can have the best moments underwater with the right mask on, or a frustrating water-day if your nose gets clogged by water. So what do you look out for when getting a diving mask? Below, are some of the prominent features you need to check out before spending a dollar.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Full Face Snorkel Mask
Last update on 2018-06-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API Details
Things to Consider When Buying a Snorkel Mask
Not every feature in a snorkel mask or set is worth spending your money on. The aim of this section is to assist you to identify key features that are worth your bucks.
These are features you will need when you snorkel or dive. Two things that differentiate high-quality snorkeling masks from the low-quality masks are the skirts (face landing pattern) and lens material.
When it comes to high-quality masks, these two features are standard – tempered glass lens and a 100% silicon skirt. Tempered glass lenses provide great clarity and safety. Unlike some rubber or PVC made skirts, silicon skirts will easily stick to your face.
As a diver or snorkeler, you will also need to consider the comfort and fitting of your mask. Masks are produced and formed in different sizes, small, medium and large. When you put the mask on your face (without the head strap), then inhale.
The mask should remain tightly plastered to your face even when you are breathing through your mouth. For the snorkel, they usually come together with the masks. Be sure that it fits perfectly into your mouth – it doesn’t cause your teeth to clench. Furthermore, the nozzle should perfectly ride above your ear or the back of your head.
Don’t have much time to read the whole article?
Top 5 Best Snorkeling Full Face Masks Reviews:
Below you will find the best and current snorkeling and diving masks. In order to make this list, all masks have certified certain requirements. Durability, comfort and construction designs are part of these requirements.
This is the perfect mask if you are in love with sports and outdoor water activities. The Tribord Easy Breath Snorkeling Mask comes with an amazing 180% field of vision alongside a polycarbonate shatter proof that gives you added safety.
With this safety, even if a wave strongly hits you in the face, you won’t feel the impact. It is anatomically designed with a silicone face skirt that provides comfort and tight water sealing, and as well comes in four mask sizes. It exclusive ventilation concept prevents it from fogging under water and allows you to get the best view.
This is the perfect mask if you are in love with sports and outdoor water activities. The Tribord Easy Breath Snorkeling Mask comes with an amazing 180% field of vision alongside a poly-carbonate shatter proof that gives you added safety. With this safety, even if a wave strongly hits you in the face, you won’t feel the impact.
It is anatomically designed with a silicone face skirt that provides comfort and tight water sealing, and as well comes in four mask sizes. It exclusive ventilation concept prevents it from fogging under water and allows you to get the best view.
Even if you have a goatee or probably beards around your face, you don’t have to worry, the seal against the face is perfectly tight. Even if you open your mouth very wide or try talking under water, the seal still stays intact.
Another amazing fact about the Tribord Easy breath snorkeling Mask is that you can actually wear a pair of smallish prescription goggles with it. If you intend to do some diving, you will want to check other masks. Tribord advises that swimmers should not dive with this mask. Additionally, you can go just about 6 feet below, going further will cause tilt to flip and water will enter.
- Provides great vision, all in one mask
- Great seal for all face types
- You can breathe through your nose and mouth
- Can be used in sea water
- It has zero Tolerance for fogging
- Comes with adjustable elasticated strap that won’t pull your hair
- It parts can’t easily be fixed if it gets broken
- It’s not designed for diving
- Mask is not intended for underwater use
- You can’t dive with mask
- Mask is ideally only for snorkeling and not swimming
- Requires great care when handling
If you are an adult or youth that is just starting out with snorkeling, then this mask is the best option for you. Just like the Tribord, the Seaview Snorkeling Mask comes with an 1800 full face mask design, this allows you to breathe comfortably through your mouth or nose. It is currently the largest facial snorkeling mask in the market, it guarantees you a wide view of sea creatures and fishes.
It also comes with a v-type head strap that comfortably holds the masks on your face. It is wide and light, you can move your head freely without noticing any weight. Here is the amazing part. If you usually get a sore mouth from clenching down the typical snorkel mouth piece, then you don’t need to worry anymore.
The Seaview 180 Full face Snorkeling Mask doesn’t come with a mouthpiece. It is featured with a separate breathing chamber, that will give you the best breathing experience under water. If you stay longer under water, you will want to get a mask that doesn’t fog up constantly. Even though the Seaview 180 Full Face Snorkeling Mask slightly fogs up around the nose and mouth area, it doesn’t fog up into your eyes – your vision will not be blocked.
- The straps are not made of rubber, so it doesn’t get snagged in your hair.
- Can be used in both salt and fresh waters
- Great for kids and youth with smaller faces
- Comfortable and durable
- Easy to use
- You can breathe through your nose or mouth
- Great sealing even for hairy heads
- Used only for shallow diving.
- Unlike traditional mouthpiece and snorkel, the air intake is not quite good.
- Fragile camera mounts requires great care when mounting
- The lens view is magnified and can induce nausea for some people
- Limited for surface snorkeling, becomes slightly uncomfortable if you go too deep
Having everything is one place is much better instead of a separate snorkel and mask. The Ocean view snorkeling set comes with a full face snorkeling mask and adjustable diving fins. You don’t need to get stocked with the traditional two-piece google and tube set. It is built with an innovative ocean view snorkel mask that allows you to have regular breathing as well as maximum comfort.
With its innovative silicon face padding and freely adjusting nylon straps, you will spend more time snorkeling than messing with the equipment. If you are the type with small feet and always struggle with fins occasionally pulling out, then here is the solution – Ocean view diving fins. They are comfortable and stays tight on your legs. Irrespective of your diving style you will still maintain stability.
Most snorkelers find it hard to take nice underwater shots, holding your camera and trying to maintain direction is a hard under water task to perform. The Ocean view masks sets comes with a Go-pro Mount, this enables snorkelers to comfortable attach their Go-pro camera and take awesome underwater shots.
If your breath heavily, I will advise you to get this. It comes with an amazing dry top seal and drains valve that prevents water from leaking into the masks. The stress from breathing and subsequently causing forget is eliminated.
- Clear and Comfortable
- DurableØThere is never a need to remove water
- Fits even narrow faces
- Perfect for someone who wears contact lenses while snorkeling
- Diving fins are fully adjustable and safe
- A bonus Cameroon mount makes it Perfect for GoPro
- Great for kids and adults
- Very portable to long trips, comes with an additional mesh carrying bag
- A little bit expensive
- A little hard to tight and loose it
- Hearing is impaired, even if the person yell! You can’t hear at all. So make sure you are good with hand signals when snorkeling
This is an ideal mask for snorkelers of all ages. The new Seaview 180 Snorkel Mask comes with a sophisticated design that prevents gag reflex that is often seen with tubeless designs. Snorkeling has to be longer to be fun. If you are the type that can’t stay under water due to fogging, this is your best hit.
Its is equipped with an anti-fogging design that will keep you snorkeling longer than ever before. Its design creates an airflow that is away from your viewing visor. It can be frustrating when water gets into your mouth, especially salt water when you are snorkeling.
The new Preview Snorkel mask comes with a dry snorkel technology. It is so easy to use; you can now spend more time viewing water creatures than trying to get water out of your mask. The dry snorkel technology prevents you from gagging and stops salt water from getting into your mouth.
It is the ideal choice for any snorkeler who know how frustrating it is to suffer from a gag reflex.This mask has been designed to fit both kids and adults, this makes it the perfect fit for both beginners and pros and will satisfy all your snorkeling needs.
- Excellent Anti-leak technology water easily drains out without stress
- It’s a full face mask that can size both adults and kids
- Its silicone mask provides comfortable fit
- Excellent sealing capability
- Provides excellent breathing capability under water
- Comes with great clarity and wide viewing angles
- Very easy to use and adjust
- Expensive and can sell above $70
- Can fog up if you try to get too deep
- Lens makes everything looks extremely close
- Can’t be used for free diving
- You can’t do the Valsalva maneuver with this mask, of course, that’s not what snorkeling is about.
- Somewhat restricted, can’t be used for rigorous swimming
- Difficult to wear prescription glasses with this mask
If you desire a better experience in you next sea water adventure, then you may want to try out the Cressi Scuba Diving Snorkeling Freediving Mask Snorkel Set. This mask set has a unique features that will help to set you apart from other snorkelers. Comes with a comfortable frameless design making it highly recommendable constant usage. Very easy to use, its adjustable swiveling buckles makes it stress less when wearing or removing it.
The Cressi scuba Diving Snorkeling free diving mask snorkel set is also laced with a top notch mouthpiece and silicone flex tube. If you are an avid free diver, this is for you. It is light and offers you a wide range of view.
It also comes with very comfortable ever-dry snorkel; it prevents water from getting in even when it is submerged. For those who love going underwater to check out the bottom or kids who are still struggling to keep water out from the snorkel, you will need to get the Cressi Scuba mask set.
- Can be used on all water types
- Dual capability, used for diving and snorkeling
- Very comfortable and easy to mount and remove
- Amazing ever-dry and submersible snorkel
- Wide view angle
- Nevers fogs up even if you go too deep
- You can’t really wear glasses with it, but you can get your glasses customized to prevent them from breaking the snorkel seal
- Needs to be handled with great care
Snorkeling and diving are two good exercise that works well when you get the right gear on. Finding the right mask is the first step in getting it right. The above masks are perfect fits for lovers of snorkeling and free diving sports. With innovative designs and amazing snorkels, they will provide you an easily breathing and wide viewing capability to maintain the fun factor. They are generally durable and would last your several years before replacing them. At a reasonable budget, you can get any of them from Amazon.