Range hoods are of two types – ducted and ductless. If your kitchen already has a vented hood installed, that’s fine! But what if you’re new to the apartment, mounting a ductless range hood would be a great lifesaver. Because it can fit in a limited area and requires no connection to the outlet or ventilation system.
It is designed to suck, filter and finally recirculate the polluted air making it breathable. Besides, they are highly affordable and easier to install than their ducted counterparts. You’ll also find them easy to move and reposition.
Top 5 Ductless Range Hoods[amazon box=”B074PBLJVY, B06XWH5S3Q, B01LYVSB3O, B019K4U3H6, B0002YTM0I” template=”table”]
5 Best Ductless Range Hoods Reviews
Throughout reviewing, one ductless range hood continually demanded attention. The remarkable scorer in the review, the Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood offers a unique and modern style, employing brushed stainless steel construction combined with a 3-speed motor. Surprisingly enough, this powerful, unrivalled motor delivers a noise free service with the maximum limit of 56 dB. And since the unit is 140-watt only, you can see it working consuming less energy.
This model also sports two sturdy reusable aluminum mesh filters that seize uninvited grease particles, smells, heat and smoke resulting from the preparation of your home-cooked meals. The 200 CFM (cubic feet per minute) air flow capacity makes the process much more impactful by eliminating potential toxic contaminants and gasses from the air in your kitchen. The best part? The included dishwasher safe filters can be quickly removed for easy, mess free cleaning.
Due to its super slim design, this incredibly functional device can complement any sized condos or apartments. You can install this space saving range hood against a wall or under the kitchen cupboard. In case, your kitchen setting allows connecting the range hood to an exhaust duct, you’ll find its built-in, easy to access top and rear venting options very much convenient for compatible and versatile application. Users rave about its energy efficient 3-watt LEDs for constant lighting during the cooking hour. The 5 years limited warranty is another peace of mind.
- Space saving design
- Very quiet
- Comes with sturdy recyclable aluminum mesh filters
- 5 years limited warranty
- Visible wielding points are somewhat distracting on its overall finish
2. Perfetto Kitchen and Bath 30″ Convertible Wall Mount Range Hood in Stainless Steel with LEDs, Push Controls & Tempered Glass
This 30 inch wall mount range hood can work as both a ductless range hood by circulating smokes and grease laden fumes (before retracting them as fresh breathable air), and a ducted range hood by eliminating all contaminated air out of your home through the vent. This state of the art device is designed keeping the European and Italian tastes in mind, so mounting it on your kitchen literally means adding a bit of sophistication to your overall furniture. Starting from the stainless steel with a brush finish to 193W powerful motor and 3 speed fan, everything about the Perfetto Kitchen and Bath 30″ Convertible Wall Mount Range Hood screams a class!
The 2 mesh filters are super effective in attracting the moisture, vapour, cooking oil, grease particles floating on the open air. Thankfully, they are dishwashable. Therefore, keeping them clean and active is easier than other models out there. If you want to add another layer of filtration, consider purchasing carbon charcoal filters (does not come with the package, though).
In terms of installation, it’s a love of DIYers. For amateurs, consulting the included manuals along with the available installation videos can be handy. And since all the hardware including 6” diameter duct pipe incorporates the product, mounting it on your kitchen wall would be a matter of minutes!
- Convertible system – works as both ducted and ductless hoods
- Easy DIY installation
- Comes with the necessary hardware
- Dishwasher safe filters
- 3 years limited parts warranty
- Too noisy
- Carbon charcoal filters need a separate purchase
3. KOBE CHX3830SQBD-3 Brillia 30-inch Ductless Under Cabinet Range Hood, 3-Speed, 400 CFM, LED Lights, Baffle Filters
This top-of-the-range ductless under cabinet range hood doesn’t come cheap, but we think it’s worth the extra dosh if you’re after something super easy to install and quiet. Plus points include the handcrafted seamless curves and elegant look that are sure to complement any kitchen furnishings. Designed to consume smoke and airborne toxins, its commercial grade stainless steel structure verily impressed us, although be warned that you can’t use it as a ducted range hood.
The motor is capable of trapping the dirt and grease with a maximum 400 cubic feet/minute power after you active the system with 3-speed mechanical push button. This range hood features charcoal filters along with easy to clean, dishwasher-safe baffle filters which are safer to use than mesh ones in terms of functionality. They work as a protection layer in case fire broke out on the cooktop. They decrease the chance of flame spread by compelling the grease-saturated air rapidly and continually alter the direction through the filter. This technique ensures that stubborn grease droplets don’t congest in the filter tray throughout the air circulation.
In addition, there are two 3 watt LED lights that will lighten up your cooking surface below so that you get a good view no matter what lighting condition is prevailing in the other areas of the home.
- Features 1.2 sone on Quiet Mode for noise free operation
- Two 3 watt LED lights for better visibility
- Seamless design with satin finish
- Includes both baffle and charcoal filters for utmost air sieving
- A few users found the provided instruction about the filter-cleaning insufficient
While remodelling your kitchen interior with a constrained space above the countertop, opting for the Broan 413004 ADA Capable Non-Ducted range hood would be a satisfying idea. Labelled as Amazon’s Choice on “Range Hood” category, it’s the perfect addition to any kitchenette, cheers to its mitered sides and hemmed bottom.
Apart from matching your decor style, this elegantly designed range hood includes a charcoal filter that comes handy in dealing with the odors, oils and fumes. It sucks them preventing their spread in the whole area and then recirculates the cleaned air back into your kitchen.
Retracting pure air isn’t the only function it’s capable of, it can do much more than this. You can use it to illuminate areas below the range hood. While other models available out there throw light on one or two certain points, the protective lamp lens of the Broan 413004 disperses light equally all over the cooktop. It works well with the bulb of up to 75 wattage which you have to buy separately, though!
As for the installation, any well-versed DIYer would find its wiring easy to set up. So, no extra cost for hiring a professional. Last but not the least, this ADA-compliant product also accompanies 2-speed rocker-type fan and light control for straightforward operation.
- Quality materials are used
- Durable fan
- Protective lamp lens dispense the light evenly on the countertop
- Easy to mount
- The fan is a little bit louder
- Bulbs are not included with the item
5. Kitchen Bath Collection 30-inch Wall-mounted Stainless Steel Range Hood, Capable of Vent-less Operation
Even the heavy smoke produced out of pan-frying or grilling poses no challenge for this splendid ductless range hood with its fan speed set to maximum. However, you can drop the speed down to medium for daily cooking, and upon lowering it to the minimum, it can keep your kitchen gas and smell free while steaming vegetables or boiling pasta.
To grab the excessive moisture along with microscopic particles, this item accompanies aluminum micro-cell grease filters. The included charcoal carbon filters are another add-ons that help making the circulated air more refined. However, don’t forget to make the filters grease-free from to time. Appreciably, they are dishwasher safe and requires no extra hassle like manual soaping or rubbing.
Though we are seeing this stainless steel product as a ventless hood, you can still install it as a ducted option made to remove odors of burned oil and other harmful airy substances out of your kitchen, thanks to its 2-piece sleek curvy edged adjustable chimney.
Featuring an UL-certified motor, it makes a tolerant level of noise while working. The touch screen control panel is another good thing about it. And finally, since this improved version has undergone a transformation including 49 individual bulbs that are projected in each of its 2 LED lights, it’ll offer 3 times brighter lights than any other regular models.
- Modern and sleek construction
- 3 different fan settings
- 2 bright LED lights
- Adjustable enough to match the ceiling height
- Not designed for mounting on the ceiling. A wall mount option!
- Way too loud
How to Choose Ductless Smoke Extractors
A ductless range hoods, also called recirculating air extractor, is one that does not exhaust outside air through a duct. Instead, this type of extractor sucks air through a filter before circulating again in the room. The filter is designed to remove as much smoke, steam, oil, and smell as possible from the air. Smoke extractors without ducts are suitable for remodeling projects where conduits are not installed. They can also be more respectful towards the environment in the right climate, as conditioned or hot air does not run out in the open air. To choose hoods without ducts that are perfect for you, you have to evaluate them in several areas, including price, aesthetics, functionality and noise level.
Read a review from Thenomrecipes to learn about the best kitchen sinks.
Choose between a carbon filter and an aluminum filter
Hoods without ducts or pass air through a carbon or aluminum mesh filter. Carbon filters work much better in removing all types of particles, oils and odors. However, they can not be cleaned easily and must be replaced periodically. Aluminum mesh filters do not filter oils or odors very well, but they can be easily washed with soap and water.
The type of cooking you do should dictate what type of filter to buy. If you cook frequently, especially the use of oils at high temperatures, a charcoal filter is the best. If you cook infrequently or usually cook using low fat methods such as boiling or poaching, an aluminum filter will be adequate
Evaluate your aesthetic preferences .
Ductless fume extractors, like their ducted pairs, come in a variety of different styles. You can find them in stainless steel, white, black and color finishes. If you are trying to match the bell to your existing range, check the manufacturer’s website to see if they produce a matching model.
Evaluate the desired air flow rate. The air cycle rate of the extractors is usually measured in cubic feet per minute, or CFM. Your CFM ideal will depend on the size of your kitchen, but this classification is much more important for duct fans that actually exhaust air. The true efficiency of a duct exhaust will be determined largely by its filter quality, not how much air it moves. However, a greater degree of CFM indicates a more powerful chapel.
Evaluate the noise level of the ductless extractor . All kitchen extractors generate noise, since they must use powerful fans to move the air. This noise level is generally reported in “son”, a unit of perceived volume. The rating is strongest appropriate for home use is about 4. High levels of are indicate stronger levels of volume.
Advantages of a ductless extractor hood
Ductless kitchen extractor hoods, also called re-circulation hoods, suck up all the kitchen odors, along with tiny particles of grease and dust that mess up your kitchen and the air. The unit then pushes clean air into the room to replace the bad air.
- Although a ventilated hood is a bit more efficient, taking odors and depositing them outside through a ventilation hole, the extraction hoods without ducts have several advantages.
- One of the biggest advantages of a ductless hood is the ease of installation. The traditional stove hoods should be installed so that they can be channeled to the outside. If your hood is on an interior wall, installation of the duct network and wiring can be a costly project.
- A ductless hood can be installed virtually anywhere in the kitchen, without the need for an exhaust pipe through the roof or walls. This makes the extractor hood without ducts ideal for cooking islands.
- The re circulation hoods clean and filter the existing air in the kitchen and release it back into the room, instead of throwing the air back into the kitchen.
- Some of the latest kitchen extractor hoods have time counters and most have digital readouts to facilitate the operation. Fans can set it up to enter intervals to automatically keep the air in the kitchen clean and fresh.
- Ductless hoods can clean the same volume as a suction hood, but because they do not have to pump air out of the house, the units consume less energy to perform their functions.
- Although a ductless hood may need a stronger air extractor, if it is equipped with more efficient fans and filters it will take air, clean it, and send it back to the room at a faster rate than a high duct hood energy efficiency.
- Because they do not require installation through walls or ceilings, ductless cooker hoods can move more easily. This means that if you decide to remodel your kitchen, you do not necessarily have to buy a new hood for the kitchen, nor will you have to spend so much money for a professional installation.
- Moving an extractor hood through pipelines leaves holes in the walls and ceilings that will have to be repaired, as well as the hassle of making new openings to exhaust the ducts at the new location of the hood. The displacement of a ductless hood can leave some small marks in your kitchen, but repairs and re-installation will be much less complex, and therefore less expensive.
Throughout the article, we see how important a role range hoods play in your kitchen area. And since all don’t necessarily have enough room to install a ducted model, it’s better to mount one of these 5 best ductless models above your kitchen cabinet. However, don’t forget to consider the necessary criteria including the size, height, motor capacity, lighting efficiency, ease of installation, noise level, and finally, adaptability of your chosen ductless range hood to ensure a healthy and safe home atmosphere for yourself, your loveable family and visitors.