A water hose is a gardening tool that carries water using a pipe from one point to the other to sprays a garden. The water hose pipe if not properly folded or organized ends up tied up in knots, piled up and make the garden look untidy and that’s where the use of a water hose reel comes in.
What is the best water hose? Well, it depends on your intended use. For some people, the cheapest green garden hose at your local hardware store or Walmart may do, but with hoses just like many other things you usually get what you pay for. A great water hose will resist abrasions, mildew and stains, have a high quality brass fitting, have multiple designs, be kink resistant, and come with a long warranty. Up to 8 ply hoses are available.
There are many different kinds of water hoses available that are “best” for specific purposes, including different lengths, thicknesses, colors, and much more. We go into the details of garden hoses on this site.
First, some basics of a Garden Hose
- A garden hose is a flexible tube used to carry water, usually made of soft plastic or rubber, and reinforced with internal fibers for strength. This results in a flexible hose with a smooth outside that is easy to pull or drag. Most hoses are strong enough for cars and other small vehicles to drive over. However, the ends can be easily damaged by excessive weight or pressure, especially the cheap ones!
- Typical garden hoses have diameters from 1/2 to 3/4 in. Obviously, the larger diameter ones will move more water and have less pressure drop, but a 1/2″ hose is fine for many, perhaps most, uses.
- Water hoses have threaded metal screw ends, which allows one end to be connected to a spigot and another end to be optionally connected to various garden hose fittings such as nozzles and sprayers. Spigots typically have male connectors.
- Garden hoses can also be attached to each other using their threaded ends to extend their reach. Small rubber washers are used at the female ends to prevent leaking, and although almost no one does, you really should replace them periodically. They only cost a few cents each at your local hardware store.
- A special type of hose called a garden soaker hose slowly leaks waters from nearly invisible holes. The water comes out very slowly and wets the ground up to a foot away, watering the plants nearby. You normally snake a soaker hose around plants and rows you want to water and periodically turn in on for a few hours, usually up to 8 hours.
- Drip irrigation hoses differ in that water squirts out of one side like a sprinkler. In fact, some people call them sprinkler hoses. These hoses are usually placed upside down and the water squirts into the ground soaking down and out. When set upright, the water shoots up a couple of feet or more. Drip irrigation hoses water faster than soaker hoses and is usually left shorter periods of time.
Garden Hose Storage is also an issue: they can be stored on garden hose reels, in decorative garden hose pots, and there are also retractable garden hoses and coiled garden hoses available.
And some people, of course, have their favorite brands. Popular brands include Swan, Flexeel, and Flexogen garden hose.
See 5 Best Water Hose Reviews Below
Garden Hose Fittings
Having a big house and a beautiful garden is everybody’s dream. However, do you really know how hard it is to keep the big house clean and the garden always green and flowers in their best shape? It is very hard.Putting small seeds for the grass, digging for every flower bulb, cutting the branches of every tree, all of these represents only the beginning of a nice garden. After you see the little green leafs of the grass growing then the real work starts. You have to prepare yourself with many garden hose fittings to be able to connect every corner of the garden to the water supply so that the wetting process will be fast and continuous.
The best choice you can make is to go to a big store and look after fittings for garden hoses. You must take care that every producer has its own type of fitting and if you have more than one type then you have to buy more garden hose connectors. Another idea is to buy garden hose fittings only from one company and all the products you need for gardening will be compatible, only that the price will be bigger.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have time to spend in a big shop there are always smaller ones, closer to your house where you can still see water hose fittings, fittings that will be good for every type of hose but their compatibility with other components will not be one hundred percent.
Many people are having problems with their garden hose fittings because the standards have changed lately and together with the technology, the diversity of products appeared. One day you can see that a shop is selling a component with a specific connection and after a few days when the stock is empty, it will bring on sale a new model that will not be compatible with the older one.
After one or two years of intense use of the garden hose fittings, you must be prepared to replace them because they will be very used and will start to break. In addition, if one is broken then it will break others too, so the best solution is changing all of them as soon as you notice any damage. You will be surprised to see that you will find connection pieces very hard for your old wetting installation and maybe it will be cheaper to invest in a new one.
Using a garden hose holder when watering your garden
A garden hose holder is vital when you use a hose to water your garden. It will keep your garden hose neat and will decrease the chance of tangles or a kink that in the least can stop the water flowing but at worst can damage or even break your hose.
There are many types and forms of garden hose holders, but they can be separated into two main categories: a wall mounted or a free-standing garden hose holder. Both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on how large your garden is and where your water source is located.
The variety of hose holders you can get is huge, even a simple hook attached to a wall could be regarded as a garden hose holder wall mount. The more elaborate ones, and usually more expensive as well hold the entire hose inside a container. Some even have an internal system to automatically retract and extend the hose while you do your gardening.
A brand new garden hose still in it’s wrapping, if you want to keep it neat then be sure to use a garden hose holder.
Types of garden hose holders:
– Basic garden hose holders – these are simple hooks or something similar where you can rest your hose. They can be attached to a wall or placed on the ground.
– Wall mounted hose reels – these can wind and release the hose when it is needed, some by hand and some automatically. Usually, they need to be placed near the water source for ease of use.
– Garden hose pot – this type stands on the ground like a pot, and you will need to wind the hose into the pot yourself.
– Hose reel carts – the most versatile of the lot as you can wind up the hose and move it where you see fit. Some can be used or converted so you can mount the cart to the wall.
The functionality of an item doesn’t mean it cannot look good; there are also many choices if you want to find a decorative garden hose holder. Usually, they are made of metal and come in various shapes and sizes. If you are up for it you might even make your own!
The materials used to make a garden hose holder are fairly limited, most are either made from metal or plastic. The garden hose pot is also available here.
When you look at the variety and materials, you can choose from you can safely say that there is a garden hose holder for every budget. Regardless of the type and price every garden hose holder will help you keep your hose in better condition than without one. If you do not have one yet it’s time to go out and get one.