Oregano oil is a natural product. It is not the same thing as the oregano that is used for cooking as a spice. That is made from a different species of oregano called Origanum Marjoram, and Oregano oil is Origanum Vulgare. It comes in the form of liquid, capsules or tablets.
Where to Buy Oregano Oil
You can buy Oregano oil in a health or nutrition store, or online with many retailers of vitamins or health supplements. You don’t have to have a prescription to buy it. Be sure you are buying the correct type of oregano oil made from Origanum Vulgare with a carvacrol level of 70 percent or higher.
What makes Oregano Oil so valuable?
Oregano oil has four major components that give it its strong healing abilities: phenol (carvacrol and thymol) give it the ability to be a powerful antiseptic and antioxidant. Terpenes (pinene and terpinene) gives it antiseptic, as well as antiviral, anti-inflammatory and aesthetic abilities. Esters (linalyl acetate and geranyl acetate) gives it anti-fungal abilities, and long chain alcohols (Linalool and borneol) give it antiviral and antiseptic abilities.
Out of all of these, the strongest ingredient is carvacrol, which studies say has the potential to be one of the strongest antibiotics available.
Oregano oil also has vitamins and minerals such as calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron, boron, potassium, manganese, Vitamin B, A and C.
Benefits of Oregano Oil
Since the ancient times of the Greeks, it has been known that oregano has various medicinal purposes. Modern research studies have also shown that oregano oil is a very strong purifier that has many health benefits for humans, as well as having qualities of being an antiviral, antibacterial agent, antifungal agent, and anti-parasitic agent. It is also a good anti-inflammatory and anti-infection agent as well.
Research at the Georgetown University discovered that oregano oil was better at fighting infection than several existing antibiotics such as penicillin, streptomycin, and vancomycin. The advantage of it is that it can’t cause bacteria to mutant into stronger and more dangerous bacteria the way modern antibiotics can.
Some of the specific health issues it can help are: Oregano Oil Plant
- Immune system booster (found to be stronger than Echinacea or golden seal)
- Increases muscle and joint flexibility (applied topically it provides fast relief)
- Fights skin conditions (such as infection, itch, irritation)
- Fights digestive issues (for indigestion mix two or three drops of liquid and drink it)
- Treats sinus congestion (add three drops to liquid and drink every day for three to five days.
- Cold and sore throat – (add three drops to liquid and drink every day for up to five days)
- Tooth and Gum infections ( one drop on toothbrush can be used)
- Food Poisoning – Studies show it can fight against antibiotic resistant strains of salmonella and E. coli bacteria.
- Treatment of herpes due to antiviral abilities
- Treats fungal problems like Candida and nail fungus, athlete’s foot and dandruff– can be used to treat it both internally and externally
- Relieves pain and inflammation (used topically it gets into tissues and provides fast relief. Good for arthritis, tendonitis, cramps, or sprains)
- Allergy fighter (breathing in the fumes from the oil or taking internally can help)
- Protects cells from free radicals that can cause cancer.
- Kills parasites such as head lice or scabies and is often added to shampoos or olive oil for application.
- Neutralizes venomous bee, snake and spider bites (Good for first aid, can relieve pain of stings or bites and reduce inflammation)
- Improves oxygen levels (use internally and externally it helps the blood absorb oxygen better).
- Acts as an anti-pleomorphism (prevents pathogens from morphing into a stronger kind of organism)
- Treats burns, cuts or scrapes (apply onto area hourly up to 10 hours until the symptoms go away.
- Gets rid of warts (put onto wart with cotton, leave cotton on wart as long as possible by taping to the area. May take several days to get rid of it).
Using Oregano Oil
The natural health community has widely embraced Oil of Oregano for its many Oregano Oil uses and Oregano Oil Benefits. It is suggested that when purchasing Oregano Oil that you look for one that contains at least a 70% carvacrol concentration. Oregano Oil is a potent essential oil that can be very hot to taste and has a warm burning sensation when applied directly to the skin. Most instructions for use will involve mixing Oil of Oregano with olive or coconut oil. Prices can vary among products and usually the higher the carvacrol concentration, the higher the price tag.
Oregano Oil is one of the most versatile herbs on the market. Most agree Oil of Oregano is a precious and powerful gift from Mother Nature. Most traditional home remedies use the essential oils of the Oregano Plant to heal the body both internally and externally. Oregano Oil is a supernatural powerhouse and is widely respected by professionals in the natural healthcare and medical field. The healing properties of Oil of Oregano were used by Hippocrates in the times of ancient Greece and will continue to be researched today for all of its health-promoting properties.
Side Effects of Oregano Oil
Despite its multiple benefits, Oregano does have some side effects, which include:
- Reduction of body’s iron absorption
- Stimulates blood flow to the uterus (Therefore pregnant women should NOT take oregano oil).
- Causes skin rash, irritation or vomiting if someone is allergic.
- Burning sensation if gotten near the eyes, mucous membranes or genitals.
The bottom line is that Oregano Oil is a potent substance that has many subtle uses that are healthful for humans. If you are considering using oregano oil, you should first talk with your doctor and see if any medications or conditions would prevent you from doing so.